A comparison of intralesional triamcinolone acetonide injection and incision-curettage for chalazion treatment
Objective: To compare the efficacy of intralesional triamcinolone acetonide with surgical incision and curettage in patients with chalazion.
Material and Method: This longitudinal interventional study was carried out during 1st September 2015 to 31st August 2016 at Kamlesh Netralaya Hospital at Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh in central India. Total 60 patients with Chalazion of (≥2mm in size) were randomly divided into two groups of 30 patients each. The first group of patients (N=30) was treated by 0.1 to 0.2 mL intralesional triamcinolone acetonide injection (40 mg/mL) and the second group of patients (N=30) were treated surgically by incision-curettage. Post steroid injection, the reduction in chalazion size was measured at 2 weeks and at 4 weeks.
Results: Out of 60 patients, 58.33% were females with mean age of 31.8 ± 9.1 years. There were total 79 chalazion in two groups. Among those treated using intralesional triamcinolone acetonide (ILTA), 29 (70.73%) chalazion resolved at 2 week. The unresolved chalazion were repeated the ILTA injection at 2nd week and followed till 4 week. The mean 11-point numerical rating scale (NRS) score for pain intensity was significantly lower in ILTA group as compared to IC group (2.3± 0.42 vs 6.7 ± 1.2, P-value = 0.001).
Conclusion: The results of intralesional triamcinolone acetonide injection treatment are comparable to that of surgical incision and curettage (IC) after second injection. Patients experienced less pain and were more satisfied with the intralesional triamcinolone acetonide injection.
2. Kumar J, Pathak KA, Verma A, Dwivedi S. Study of incidence and risk factors of chalazion in Bundelkhand region. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences.2017;16(5) : 5-8. DOI: 10.9790/0853-1605080508
3. S. Rumelt and P. A. Rubin, “Potential Sources for Orbital Cellulitis,” International Ophthalmology Clinics.1996; 36(3): 207-221. doi:10.1097/00004397-199603630-00019
4. Perry HD, Serniuk RA. Conservative treatment of chalazia. Ophthalmology. 1980 Mar;87(3):218-21.[pubmed]
5. Pizzarello LD, Jakobiec FA, Hofeldt AJ, et al. Intralesional corticosteroid therapy of chalazia. Am J Ophthalmol. 1978 Jun;85(6):818-21.[pubmed]
6. McGrath NM, Kent-Smith B, Sharp DM. Reversible optic neuropathy due to metronidazole. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2007 Aug;35(6):585-6. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2007 Aug; 35(6):585-6.[pubmed]
7. Palva J, Pohjanpelto PE. Intralesional corticosteroid injection for the treatment of chalazia. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh). 1983 Oct; 61(5):933-7.[pubmed]
8. Goawalla A, Lee V. A prospective randomized treatment study comparing three treatment options for chalazia: triamcinolone acetonide injections, incision and curettage and treatment with hot compresses. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2007 Nov;35(8):706-12. DOI:10.1111/j.1442-9071.2007.01617.x[pubmed]
9. Ben Simon GJ, Rosen N, Rosner M, et al. Intralesional triamcinolone acetonide injection versus incision and curettage for primary chalazia: a prospective, randomized study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2011 Apr;151(4):714-718.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2010.10.026. Epub 2011 Jan 22.[pubmed]
10. Ben Simon GJ, Huang L, Nakra T, et al. Intralesional triamcinolone acetonide injection for primary and recurrent chalazia: is it really effective? Ophthalmology 2005 May;112(5):913-7. DOI:10.1016/j.ophtha.2004.11.037
11. Pavicić-Astalos J , Iveković R, Knezević T, et al. Intralesional triamcinolone acetonide injection for chalazion. Acta Clin Croat. 2010 Mar;49(1):43-8.[pubmed]
12. Castrén J, Stenborg T. Corticosteroid injection of chalazia. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh). 1983 Oct;61(5):938-42.[pubmed]
13. Kaimbo Wa Kaimbo D, Nkidiaka MC. et al. [Intralesional corticosteroid injection in the treatment of chalazion]. J Fr Ophtalmol. 2004 Feb;27(2):149-53.[pubmed]
14. Mustafa TA, Oriafage IH. Three methods of treatment of chalazia in children. Saudi Med J. 2001 Nov; 22(11):968-72.[pubmed]
15. Bolton JE, Wilkinson RC. Responsiveness of pain scales: a comparison of three pain intensity measures in chiropractic patients. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1998 Jan;21(1):1-7.[pubmed]
16. Prasad S, Gupta AK. Subconjunctival total excision in the treatment of chronic chalazia. Indian J Ophthalmol. 1992 Oct-Dec; 40(4):103-5.[pubmed]
17. Ahmad S, Baig MA, Khan MA, et al. Intralesional corticosteroid injection vs surgical treatment of chalazia in pigmented patients. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2006 Jan;16(1):42-4.[pubmed]
18. Khurana AK, Ahluwalia BK, Rajan C. et al. Chalazion therapy. Intralesional steroids versus incision and curettage. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh). 1988 Jun;66(3):352-4.[pubmed]
19. Ho SY, Lai JS. Subcutaneous steroid injection as treatment for chalazion: prospective case series. Hong Kong Med J. 2002 Feb;8(1):18-20.[pubmed]
20. Jackson TL, Beun L. A prospective study of cost, patient satisfaction, and outcome of treatment of chalazion by medical and nursing staff. Br J Ophthalmol. 2000 Jul;84 (7):782-5.[pubmed]
21. Yağci A, Palamar M, Eğrilmez S, et al. Anterior segment ischemia and retinochoroidal vascular occlusion after intralesional steroid injection. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Jan-Feb;24(1):55-7. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0b013e31815c938f.
22. Ramlee N, Ramli N, Tajudin LS. Pleomorphic adenoma in the palpebral lobe of the lacrimal gland misdiagnosed as chalazion. Orbit 2007; 26(2):137-9. DOI:10.1080/01676830600985882
23. Rawlings NG, Brownstein S, Jordan DR. Merkel cell carcinoma masquerading as a chalazion. Can J Ophthalmol. 2007 Jun; 42(3):469-70. DOI:10.3129/can j ophthalmol.i07-059.[pubmed]
24. Moustafa B, Wirbelauer C, Haberle H, Herbst H, Pham DT. Therapy refractory blepharoconjunctivitis in a 90-year-old patient. Ophthalmologe 2007;104:889-91.
25. Chung CF, Lai JS, Li PS. Subcutaneous extralesional triamcinolone acetonide injection versus conservative management in the treatment of chalazion. Hong Kong Med J. 2006 Aug;12(4):278-81.[pubmed]
26. Smythe D, Hurwitz JJ, Tayfour F. The management of chalazion: a survey of Ontario ophthalmologists. Can J Ophthalmol. 1990 Aug; 25(5):252-5.
Copyright (c) 2018 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.